Author Roger Keight (21st June 1936 – 1st January 2013)

 

This interesting and detailed account of life in centuries gone by was compiled by Roger Keight, a Fulford resident, and was posted on this website site with his kind permission and active involvement. 

This page is dedicated to the local history of Fulford Parish, Staffordshire, and hopefully, will give people interested in tracing their ancestors in this area some valuable information.

We are fortunate in that members of our community have spent years researching the local area and have been willing to publish this information on our site for the greater good.

 

Fulford History - an introduction.pdf Fulford History - an introduction.pdf
Size : 81.312 Kb
Type : pdf

 A BRIEF HISTORY OF FULFORD VILLAGE

Fulford village stands on one of the tributaries of the River Blythe to the south of the route of the old Roman Road that passed through Draycott and Blythe Bridge and on to the Stoke boundary.

 THE HISTORY OF FULFORD CHAPEL AND ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH

The old yews in St.Nicholas churchyard on the high ground at the north end of Fulford point to the church being a very early place of worship, and it was certainly well established as a Chapelry in the 14th century, being listed among the Churches of Pirehill Hundred in the Parish of St.Michael’s Church in Stone, together with Darlaston, Meaford, Oulton, Moddershall, Tittensor, Beech, Hilderstone and Aston.

Fulford - it's Church and it's Chapels.pdf Fulford - it's Church and it's Chapels.pdf
Size : 706.757 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford - it's local farms and farmers.pdf Fulford - it's local farms and farmers.pdf
Size : 1064.662 Kb
Type : pdf

THE SHOULDER OF MUTTON PUBLIC HOUSE

Just how long there has been an inn in Fulford is not clear, though there may have been one since as far back as 1577 when it was said that then there was an inn or tavern for every 95 of the population in England. The present inn, The Shoulder of Mutton on the north side of the village green, was probably built at the beginning of the 1800’s,.

FULFORD POST OFFICE AND VILLAGE STORE

Until 1840 it was the responsibility of the postmaster in Stone to decide how much must be paid by the recipient when a letter was delivered to them.

FULFORD VILLAGE HALL

With the demise of Fulford Institute in the old school building on the village green, Fulford Young People’s Club suggested that a new Village Hall was required and so a board of trustees was formed in 1946 to put the project into motion.

OCCUPATIONS IN AND AROUND FULFORD

First and foermost Fulford was a farming community, but it was also a fairly self-sufficient community and so many other occupations and trades existed in the area.

Fulford - some of it's emigrants.pdf Fulford - some of it's emigrants.pdf
Size : 172.401 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford - the census of 1881.pdf Fulford - the census of 1881.pdf
Size : 13.02 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford - the history of it's schools.pdf Fulford - the history of it's schools.pdf
Size : 1697.035 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford - the tithe of 1849.pdf Fulford - the tithe of 1849.pdf
Size : 237.919 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford Parish - Hilderstone.pdf Fulford Parish - Hilderstone.pdf
Size : 392.852 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford Parish - Moddershall.pdf Fulford Parish - Moddershall.pdf
Size : 65.988 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford Parish - Saverley Green.pdf Fulford Parish - Saverley Green.pdf
Size : 607.796 Kb
Type : pdf
Fulford Parish - Spot Acre.pdf Fulford Parish - Spot Acre.pdf
Size : 1262.926 Kb
Type : pdf

 Stallington is a small hamlet one mile north-west of Fulford which once belonged to Stone parish. At the time of the 1881 census there were 12 households in Stallington housing 78 residents.

These buildings included Stallington Hall (originally known as Stallington Grange), a fine red brick building standing in it’s own parkland and has extensive views over the surrounding countryside.

Fulford Parish - Stallington.pdf Fulford Parish - Stallington.pdf
Size : 422.56 Kb
Type : pdf

Make a free website with Yola